The Sans Souci
The older house, at right in the photograph on the companion page, was built as a hotel by W.H. Keeland, in 1850. After his death, in 1853, his wife sold the property to Mrs. Aurelia Smith Woodward, who operated it as the Sans Souci Hotel.
The New Orleans Delta Daily of August 5, 1857, stated that Woodward operated the San Souci in a “free and easy” manner, making the San Souci what every hotel should be; the Stranger's Home and the Traveler's Rest.
Compared to the Pass Christian Hotel, the San Souci was also considered top notch.
Sept 5, 1850 Newspaper
owned or operated by James Roach located in block of 100 East Beach Road