Inn By The Sea
In mid-1926, a $6,000,000 – 1400-acre development at Henderson's Point was brought back to life and was named Pass Christian Isles. Seven miles of canals and lagoons were dug while dredging filled in the few low points along the expanse of the Bay shoreline to 12-feet above sea level.
Within another year the Drackett Ferry from Bay St Louis began landing at Henderson Point. During evenings and Sunday afternoons, automobiles would park on the main deck of the ferry boat while the younger set would dance on the top deck listening to lively music.This was during the early '20s before the Bay bridge was built.
The wooden bridge crossing the Bay of St. Louis was built in 1928, and was constructed of wood planks covered with asphalt. During hot months such as August, a cigarette thrown from an auto would catch the bridge afire. It was commonly called the "Bridge of Fire" due to the frequency of flames which interrupted traffic flow. It was eventually replaced in 1950, when the present concrete bridge was completed.
The roadway between New Orleans to Mobile was first known as Route 701, prior to it being transferred into the developing national interstate system when it was renamed Highway 90. The old Highway 90 roadway ran from Bay St. Louis by way of Ulman Avenue to cross the wooden bridge into Henderson Point, passing in front of where Annie’s Restaurant is now located.
St. Luke Sanatorium
A note affixed to an old map of Henderson's Point indicated the location of St. Luke’s Sanatorium being at the “Old Hotel Site.” Also, shown at that location on an early Pass Christian map was the St. Luke Sanatorium which was also called Dr. Gallant’s Hospital (The Lounge is shown in photo at right). Early resort hotels along the Coast were established as Health Spas and Sanatoriums which is what St. Luke’s had to have been, being situated at the “Old Hotel Site.” Therefore, it must also be presumed, that Dr. Gallant operated a health spa at the southern end of Henderson's Point.
Below is a 1924 Sanborn Map showing the Hospital layout.
The Inn-by-the-Sea was a dream come true. “It was laid out in Mediterranean style, situated in the center of a beautifully landscaped 75-acre park, with a private white-silver sand beach extending from the very edge of the patio to the emerald waters of the Gulf of Mexico, with no roadway to cross.
As advertised, the “Inn-by-the-Sea resembled a Spanish castle, as if lifted bodily from old Spain and gently set on the romantic Gulf Coast of Mississippi.”
“One could almost expect to see Spanish Grandees or French Cavaliers strolling through the rough-hewn beams of its corridors. One could almost imagine waking in the morning to witness a duel beneath one of the majestic Live Oaks. The very atmosphere of the Inn was charged with romantic intrigue of the Spanish Main and yet it had all the creature comforts in catering to the slightest wish of a vacationing family.”
The former owners of the Inn, Mr. and Mrs. I. T. Rhea, who 1915, had lost to flame the “Lynne Castle Hotel,” once reflected on the beauty of just sitting on the beach in front of the Inn by the Sea, and watching the magnificent sunset. They encouraged their guests to join them in listening to the splash of the waves and to become alert to the many natural amenities that were waiting to be reaped. They maintained flocks of exotic birds. In the patio, they hand-fed the bugle birds adorned with gold and black plumage, along with the white cockatoos, parrots, and beautiful macaws. The Innkeepers organized picnics into the piney woods and alerted their lodgers to absorb the glorious sunshine and to feel and taste the tang of salt air. Everyone learned to forget their cares as they would take a venture by sailing on the Pussy Cat or the Queen of the Fleet, or in taking a cruise on the Oneida to the barrier islands where they would spend the afternoon plunging from the bow into the Gulf's emerald waters.
The Inn-by-the-Sea was a delightful hotel surrounded by cottages between the tall pines and moss hung live oaks basking beside the shores of the Gulf at Henderson Point.
Inn by the Sea advertisements promoted itself as a Delightful Inn with adjoining cottages among the pines and moss-hung Live oaks – located beside the Emerald waters of the Gulf of Mexico and open everyday of the year.
The Inn was architecturally designed along the lines of a typical Spanish Mission. It was laid out in a crescent shape that followed the course of the Bay shoreline – around which it was located. The main building was long and rambling, with low arched doorways and heavy hand-hewn doors that were adorned with wrought iron fittings. There were adobe-colored, high, double arched galleries, cloistered walkways, railed balconies, and fan-shaped windows – some with wrought iron guard grills. There were also private cottages.
The Inn guest rooms had large comfortable country-estate style bedrooms with large, welcoming fireplaces and finely appointed bathrooms with built-in tubs and pedestal basins.
However, like the many other old hotels along the Coast, the Depression of the '30s reaped its toll. After the Inn by the Sea fell into bankruptcy, not until the beginning of World War II, in 1941, the Inn was taken over by the U.S. Merchant Marines as a training academy only to be abandoned at War's end.
Below maps show expansions of the Inn-By-The-Sea from 1924 to 1930.
Gulfshore Baptist Assembly
After World War II, the Gulfshore Baptist Assembly acquired the 3-story 171,000-square-foot complex with sleeping accommodations for 520 persons, a large cafeteria style dining hall, and 26 classrooms.
On September 9, 1965, Hurricane Betsy caused major damages, followed by Hurricane Camille on August 17, 1969, which reduced the campus to splinters.
That same area now facilitates the $13,000,000 Gulfshore Baptist Assembly. Since its groundbreaking ceremonies in 1972, Baptists from every state and territory, visit the educational and religious retreat. In addition to a large auditorium and conference facility, extensive dormitories house hundreds of students with separate living quarters for counselors. Having endured many years of determination, in May of 1976, a $3,750,000 budget was established to construct a new hurricane-proof campus. Two years later, on May 9,1978, the new greatly enhanced “Gulfshore” was dedicated.