James Mes McGlathery, operated several hotels before retiring to the Pass to operate the Magnolia Hotel which, in 1915, burned down His son, Sam L. McGlathery, Editor of the Coast Beacon newspaper and first president of the PC Chamber of Commerce
rebuilt the hotel and named it the New Miramar.
In Live Oak Cemeteery is a Predominant Monument with three flat markers
Mes M McGlathery 1845 1918
Georgia C. McGlathery
Mary Esther McGlathery
Situated at Site of the 1830s Pass Christian Hotel
The McGlatherys bought the site of the former Magnolia Hotel which had burned down in 1915, (same site as the former Pass Christian Hotel and former Pass Christian College) on West Beach Boulevard. They built the Miramar Hotel
in 1916. Sam L. McGlathery, son of J.M. McGlathery, worked with the Hotel as well as being Editor of the Coast Beacon newspaper (the predecessor to the Pass Christian Tarpon Beacon). Sam McGlathery was also the first President of the Pass Christian Chamber of Commerce as formed in 1923.
In 1937, the hotel was operated by Walter Read and was purchased in 1952, by Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Black. In 1957, it was called the Old South Motor Lodge, until 1959, when the Douglas Black investment group converted the Hotel into the Miramar Nursing Hotel and hired poet-laureate of Mississippi, Earl Cuevas, of Fenton, as its Administrator.
Four-Lane Highway Dedication
Headlines in the Daily Herald of May 21, 1954, broadcast the dedication ceremonies that were held at noon in Pass Christian. A massive Magnolia-banked platform was erected on the lawn of the beachfront Miramar Hotel for the many political dignitaries to take turns in welcoming and citing the significance of the event. Mayor Francis Hursey gave the Welcome address followed by Lt. Governor Carroll Gartin who praised the completion of the Four-lane Highway six-mile section from Long Beach to Pass Christian. Its completion marked the first county-wide four-lane highway in the State of Mississippi. Members of the State Highway Commission cut the green and white ribbon that was stretched across the four lanes from the ridge to the beach.
The former hotel building was razed in April 1964 to build a new nursing home facility. A new nursing complex opened on July 1, 1966 with a renovated 100 bed nursing and convalescent home called the Miramar Nursing Village. The facility consisted of two buildings with 50 beds each joined by patios on the 5-acre site. Since 1994, the current property owner, Delta Health Group of Pensacola, continues to meet the growth and demand for nursing home facilities. (New facility not pictured)