During Charles Shipman's ownership of the hotel, he leased it to such managers as Nicholas Raymond until 1838, then, in 1839, to McDonnell and Waterman who named it the “New Brighton,”
From 1843 to 1846, Job Selph became the prime lessee and subleased the operations to Fairfax Washington in 1843, SG Field in 1844, Horace Ward from 1845.
R.H. Montgomery operated the hotel from 1847 to 1855, and purchased it in 1849, following the death of Charles Shipman.
Warren Grice and R.W. James operated it in 1856, and John McDonnell returned in 1857, until 1861, when it closed due to the Civil War.